Subject Lead for Science
MS/UPS + TLR 2 £6,500
Start Date: ASAP
Application Closing Date: 9:00am Monday 31st January 2022
Interview Date: Week Commencing 7th February 2022
We are excited to be recruiting to the role of Science Curriculum Lead. Becton School is an ‘outstanding’ school that is as unique as it is wonderful and as complex as it is caring. Over the past 4 years it has grown considerably and the number of pupils it supports has almost quadrupled. Initially Becton School worked solely with patients at the Becton Centre for Children and Young People, a residential Tier 4 CAMHs unit. However, we now encompass 3 other separate (and also complex) sites each working with a different cohort of pupils. The staff at the Sheffield Children’s Hospital work with patients admitted for a wide variety of medical needs. The Kenwood centre has just completed its 6th year and is a provision for pupils with communication and interaction difficulties alongside mental health issues (These pupils require an EHCP and are fully on our roll). Chapel House supports pupils in Sheffield who are medically too ill to attend school, whether this is due to a medical or mental health condition.
This new role has been created to lead Science across the 4 different provisions, all of which have a bespoke curriculum model. The pupils at Becton School have often missed a large part of their education due to anxiety and although we know we cannot change our pupils’ past experiences, we believe that we that by working together we can influence their future by restoring their self-confidence, self-esteem, and giving them the resilience and tools to be able to cope in their chosen educational or vocational destination.
At Becton, the children are at the heart of all we do and we strongly believe it is our responsibility to provide a place where everyone feels welcome, secure and highly valued.
The successful candidate will help shape a unique Curriculum that provides our pupils with the very best opportunities of moving on to a destination that allows them to thrive.
The main purpose of this role will be:
· To have holistic over site of science across all 4 provisions
· To support with quality assurance of the subject
· To support non subject specialists where appropriate
· To oversee subject specific training
· To lead on the quality of education in science and to report to a member of the Senior Leadership Team
· To organise and plan for subject meetings
· To regularly review and monitor provision within the department to feed into the Schools SEF
· To support staff in use of assessment to ascertain best practice and areas for development
We are seeking an individual with strong child-centred values, resilience and a proven ability to lead the next exciting phase of the Becton School’s journey.
Applications would be welcome from candidates in secondary mainstream schools who can demonstrate knowledge of special educational needs.
The successful person will have:
· Highly effective leadership skills and the ability to inspire and motivate other people;
· Experience of effectively leading and managing change and the ability to think strategically;
· A strong commitment to collaboration and partnership working;
· A deep understanding of how children and young people with additional needs learn and make good progress;
· High expectations and the ambition, drive and determination for every child and young person to be 'the best they can be';
· A strong commitment to working positively and pro-actively with parents, carers and a wide range of professionals and services;
· Excellent management and organisational skills.
Candidates are strongly encouraged to visit the Becton School to see the school at work, although due to Covid restrictions these visits will be more limited than usual. For an informal conversation about the vacancy or to arrange a visit please contact Executive Headteacher James Gibson on 07720 823393 or email email@example.com
For an application pack please contact the School Business Manager via email firstname.lastname@example.org
This post involves working with children and therefore if successful you will be required to apply for a disclosure of criminal records check at an enhanced level. Further information about the Disclosure Scheme can be found at www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check.