As an academy, the Academy Council of Becton School has delegated powers from the Nexus Multi Academy Trust Board of Directors, which are outlined in the Trust’s Scheme of Delegation
The Chief Executive Officer and Officers of the Trust act as advisors to the Academy Council and attend most meetings
Becton School Local Governing Body was constituted on 1st April 2020 and converted to an Academy Council in September 2022. The following structure of Governance is now in place:
The total membership shall be not less than 7 and not more than 12.
The membership shall comprise:
- The Chair who is elected by the Trust Board of Directors;
- The Headteacher;
- No fewer than 2 elected Parent Governors;
- Two elected Members of Staff, one Teaching, one Non-Teaching;
- The remaining Governors are appointed by the Local Governing Body. Governors can be Parents or Members of Staff but the number of Staff Governors (inc Headteacher) must not exceed one-third of the total number of Governors.
How are Governors chosen?
There are different categories of Governors: Parent Governors, Staff Governors and Governors.
Parent Governors are elected by current parents when a vacancy becomes available. Staff Governors, are representatives of the teaching or support staff and are elected by the eligible staff when a vacancy becomes available. All Governors are appointed by the Academy Council. They are selected to provide skills and experience which Governors feel are required.
The Chair of the Academy Council is appointed by the Nexus Multi Academy Trust Board of Directors.
All Governors initially serve for a period of four years. At the end of the four years, they can stand for re-election or be re-appointed. Governors are free to resign before the end of their four-year term if they so wish.
Members of Becton School Governing Body
- Joel Hardwick - Chair
- David Poulsom - Finance Link Governor - Interests & Attendance Data
- James Gibson - Executive Headteacher - Interests & Attendance Data
- Sapphire Johnson - Wellbeing Governor - Interests & Attendance Data
- Jenny Ashton – Site Link Governor Chapel House
- Stephen Ducey - Staff Governor
Governor Interests are reviewed at every meeting. All individual Governor Information with regard to Interests & Attendance can be found within the Individual Governor Profiles.
Approved minutes of the Academy Council can be accessed at the bottom of this page
The Academy Council meets at least once per term, with additional meetings being arranged as required.
- Geoff Lawrence Governor 20th November 2020
- Karon Ransom Governor 23rd March 2021
- Liz Roscoe Parent Governor 31st August 2021
- Peter Bamford Governor 13th July 2021
- Peter Borchers Governor
- Tracey Curtis Staff Governor
- Dianne Joynson Governor
- Peter Joynson Vice Chair
- Julia Stevens Governor